Most of the music washed over me, really. My main purpose there was to collect donations for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the recipient charity of the night. I believe one needs to be restful to really enjoy orchestral music. No one jogs to Beethoven's 9th. There were reports of anti-aircraft fire and planes crashing into buildings in Colombo, and there I was, surrounded by sights and sounds that could be from a different world altogether. A bit of an either-or situation. My mind was a mess.
Many concert-goers were feeling quite generous, though a number of people hadn't heard about Make-A-Wish before. Small wonder how anyone could have gone without being accosted by those Amy Bruce emails at least once in the past 10 years. It was nice talking to strangers, telling them about something I really believed in and watching the staunch, convert.
Met a bunch of other volunteers, lovely people, specially Lorraine - an elderly young lady who's volunteered for the Starlight Symphony for a number of years.
There were a few noteworthies that made in through the chaotic tangle of my thoughts. Let's see...
- The first was the audience Waltz (led by Candy Lane & Jonny Williams), to the Blue Danube. Well, not everyone danced, but it was simply spectacular to see most people let go of their inhibitions, grab their partners and just dance 'like nobody's watching'. Imagine a parkful (is that a word? Well, it is now) of people waltzing away, in their shorts, tank-tops and walking shoes, the not-so-sure-footed giggling each time they stumbled on each other's feet as the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra made their music. It was lovely. And suddenly, I wanted to be in Colombo.
- Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was ever so soulfully rendered by Phil Madsen. There's just something about that song... and I wanted to be in Colombo.
- Mozart's Dies Irae by the SKYCITY Massed Choir and
- The star of the evening - Brooke Fraser singing Shadowfeet. A song, not only for the faithful - one of my favourites. And I started wondering what it will be like "when time and space are through". And I wanted to be in Colombo, in a bus, clinging on for dear life, in the midst of the dust, grime and the sweaty wafts of humanity which made up my hometown.
Towards the end I was quite knackered - being on my feet
Fireworks... my mind went back to a time when I'd sit up straight, suddenly cold, to the sound of a careless firecracker or a bursting tyre. I wanted to be in Colombo. Right then.
Back in Auckland, many thanks to everyone who gave generously. And to those who didn't, thanks for your presence.

2 comments:
Sounds like a very interesting event. Glad you had a nice time.. Oh and why you missed Colombo that much? cause of the attack?
Well, "Missing Colombo" is a constant with me. Aggravated when there's unrest.
Post a Comment