Friday, 16 July 2010

Knackered

Right now, what I really want is to read about the regular life of a regular person going about their regular business, somewhere in Sri Lanka. Not the beauty of Afghanistan, not the troubles of Non-Resident Indians, not the the archaic love stories of the aristocratic English. Just something ordinary. To me.

I've been away working, and being tired when I'm not. Having recently discovered the "Community Languages" section of the local library, I was disappointed to find the Sinhala shelf filled with Edward Mallawarachchi, a few off Sumithra Rahubaddha and a couple of Gunasena cookbooks. Never had the time of day for Edward Mallawarachchi, so I picked up Sumithra Rahubaddha's Agapipimal. Agapipimal was about a lawyer, divorced - the plot thickens - and she's a woman. It was boring, the plot was non-existent, and I couldn't wait to finish it. It was ordinary. Just thought I'll say.

7 comments:

halwis said...

i felt an urge to read something nice in Sinhala last week, but could only sigh at the few of Martin W titles in my measly book shelf; අපේ ගම, ගම්පෙරලිය, විරාගය & මානව හිතවාදය හා එතෙර වියත්හු (non fiction) which - despite the mesmarising writing style - is hopelessly outdated.
welcome back!

Scribbler said...

Thank you Haren :) Just realised this is my first post this year - crazy!

True, it would be refreshing and interesting to read something new. I have no idea what direction Sinhala literature/writing has taken in the recent past. Wouldn't mind reading Martin Wickramasinghe's trilogy again though. It's been at least 10 years since I read them last (darn. I'm old).

Harshi said...

Hey! I really thought you've stopped blogging for good. It's by chance I saw this update on Springflower's blog and thought to check it out. So glad to see you back sis. ^__^

Too bad you don't get many books out there. Once I saw an article regarding female authors in Lanka. The writer stresses that a majority of their works portray pessimism throughout the plots. Wonder why though.

Scribbler said...

Hi Akki! It's been ages. We should catch up sometime soon.

Haven't really been feeling like writing lately :)

That's interesting about female authors. Given that writing is a reflection of their own selves for most writers, would that mean that we females are prone to pessimism more than our male counterparts? :P

Tasha said...

Why not write your own story?

Scribbler said...

@Tryer Maybe one day :) Hopefully I still have my wits about me by then. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

:) i think sri lankan's have a air of pessimism, probably due to misunderstood religious beliefs like how life is suffering. I speak for my self also. :) but didn't think it was just females.